2014-2015 Dress Code
The purpose of the Dress Code is to encourage students to focus on the learning process without the distractions of unsuitable dress and grooming. Students shall maintain a clean, orderly appearance at all times. The following are general guidelines for Mariner High School that are in addition to the Code of Conduct.
- Appropriate footware (i.e. shoes or sandals) must be worn at all times. Shower shoes and/or bedroom slippers are prohibited.
- Apparel shall be adequate in both length and coverage to be considered appropriate for school.
- Pants shall be worn fastened and at the waist. The length should be at or below the knee. Torn jeans should not show skin above the knees. Spandex, stretch denim, yoga, tights, leggins, or other form-fitting pant clothing worn are not permitted. This clothing may only be worn in a "layered" look, under shorts, skirts, and/or dresses that are the acceptable length as outlined in the school dress code.
- Altered clothing, i.e., cut-off jeans, pants with holes, tears, rips, etc., and/or ill-fitting garments are not acceptable.
- Shirts and blouses shall be appropriately fastened in accord with the design of that shirt or blouse. The length should extend beyond the waist level. All shirts and/or blouses must cover the shoulder from the collar bone to over the shoulder.
- Transparent or see-through tops, bare midriff, strapless, muscle shirts, or low-cut clothing, or tops that provide minimum coverage or are of a suggestive nature are prohibited: halters, spaghetti straps, backless dresses or tops, tube tops, tank tops, muscle shirts, or any clothing which may be distracting are prohibited. These items must not be worn under clothing items because outer garmets should be able to be removed in warm weather.
- Any articles of clothing or jewelry that could likely cause injury, such as chains, rings, chokers, with or without spikes or studs, are prohibited. Wallet chains of any length are prohibited.
- Apparel, emblems, insignias, badges, or symbols that promote the use of alcohol, drugs, tobacco, weapon, or any other illegal activity are prohibited.
- Apparel or symbols which may be gang related may not be displayed on a student’s person, locker, vehicle, or personal belongings.
- Gang related tattoos or other tattoos that may cause a substantial disruption, as determined by the administration, are prohibited.
- The wearing or carrying of hats, caps, headgear, and sunglasses except in conjunction with designated school approved functions are prohibited. Bandanas and stocking caps are prohibited.
- Clothing with slogans or advertising that has a double meaning is prohibited.
- Shorts and skirts must extend to the knee. No mini skirts, short shorts, or running shorts are allowed.
- Prohibited adornments (piercings) include, but are not limited to, hoops or rings attached to the nose, eyebrow, cheeks, or lip.
- Pajama attire of any kind is not permitted.
- Long coats, including trench coats are not permitted inside the building.
- Blankets, pillows, gloves and/or stuffed animals are not appropriate for school.
THE SCHOOL ADMINISTRATION SHALL HAVE THE RIGHT TO APPRAISE ANY CURRENT FASHION OR FAD AND DETERMINE WHETHER IT IS APPROPRIATE FOR SCHOOL. STUDENTS WHO CHOOSE TO DRESS INAPPROPRIATELY WILL BE SUBJECT TO DISCIPLINARY ACTION.